Monday, June 20, 2011

You Have To Be This Tall To Ride This Ride

As frequent readers might have noticed, I have not written much about my 79 year old daughter lately. I have tried but, quite honestly, the care of my 79 year old daughter is so "un-funny" that I haven't found ANYTHING that is witty or entertaining to say. And I can't guarantee that this will be any of those things either, but I just felt like talking about her today.

For those of you new readers (where have you been?), I have a 79 year old daughter who has serious memory issues.  As someone very close to me once said in a one-man show, "she don't know 'come here' from 'sic 'em".  I've sent her off to boarding school where she is still having adjustment issues. She's met a few friends (one is a man who thinks she's pretty!!) but still she wants to come home. Everyday she wants to come home.  Sometimes 4 or 5 times a day she wants to come home. She has lost cognitive abilities, but she HAS NOT lost the ability to dial the phone. Trust me, SHE CAN DIAL THE PHONE!

We are now on a new journey with her. We've been to the neurologist (Dr. Hwong) and he has sent us to a new amusement park. We've visited MRI land. We had a few hiccups but she made it through. We had a visit from the traveling EEG gang, but we couldn't make it through that and had to get off the ride before we were finished. We've been to Ophthalmology City. That was fun. There were lots of bright lights and shiny things there.  Next stop is Neuro Psychology Village. It's not in our neighborhood, so guess what?  Field trip!!!

Today as we were sitting at The Sonic Drive-In in between Ophthalmologist and Cardiologist appointments (that's a whole other issue, by the way) she was going on about how she could take care of herself at home now that her leg has heeled.  I said, "you know that I am not going to let you do that". She argued a bit and I said "I am going to win this one".  And she looked at me with the clearest eyes she has had in a long time, and said clearly, "I know".

Tomorrow morning I get on a plane and will be gone for a week.  I've enlisted my Aunt and Uncle, who we affectionately call "the circus", to come and be on call.  Between the three of them, they might have two thirds of a brain. No offense to them. Well, okay, yes, offense to them.  As I said goodbye to her today, she cried. And I tried not to.  Instead of  "good-bye", she said "thank you".  And then I cried.   Although the thought of being away from "the madness" is something I have been looking forward to, I will miss her.  And now I know, that she will miss me, too.

What would Betty's thoughts be on this? "I didn't have any trouble when I had my MRI. She has always been skiddish".  And then she would go on about how her glasses don't fit right.

1 comment:

  1. Oh love, you are an angel from I'm not sure quite where, but still an angel. I hope when I'm crotchety, cantankerous and all those other c words (mind your manners now) that someone as loving and caring is there for me.
    I'm sure there is a special place in heaven for you, free of "field trips" and what not.
    However, as my mother always says...."honey get over it, there's no rest for the wicked!"
    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete