Monday, June 6, 2011

I Am Great

I was always a good Uncle.  If I say so myself,and according to my nieces and nephews,  I am a very good Uncle.  But now, I am a GREAT Uncle. My nephew Dustan and his wife, Megan, had a freshly spawned little boy on Sunday. They named him Taydn Boyce Howard.  (I know, it sounds like something Sarah Palin would make up) Truth be told, I hear, my niece (Dustan's sister) made the name up. The middle name is Dustan's grandfather's (on his mother side) name, which I think is pretty sweet.

Fortunately, from the photos I have seen, Dustan IS the father. No need for a Maury Povich paternity test here. He looks exactly like Dustan who looks exactly like his father. (my brother) So, the Howard full lips, big ears and skinny legs will carry on for yet another generation. (Oh, Glory!)

Dustan and Megan (and now Baby Taydn) live in far northern California, which means the Howard relatives in Texas will rarely see the little "Tay Boy" (which is what I think I will call him). It's kind of sad to think we won't be able to see him grow and for him to not get to know us.  But, as I have always said, being an uncle is the greatest job in the world because.... you can always give them back!  You can play and bring presents and when you get that whiff of rancid English Peas whafting from their bottoms....you give them back! So with this little one, not so much play time and not so many presents and not so many stinky Pampers. So, in order for Great Uncle Pappy (which is what I think I want to be called, although I heard tonight that my brother wants to be called Pappy, and that might be a little confusing) to make an impact on this next generation of Howard, the play and gifts have to be quick and intense.  I'll have to work on that.

Uncle Pappy ain't as fun as he used to be!

What would Betty say about her first great grand baby? "Did they leave a vowel out of that name?"  And then she would go on about how Dustan and Megan don't "have a pot to pee in, but neither did Charles and I."

No comments:

Post a Comment