Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Middle Easht

You all know I am a news junkie.  I've tried to kick the habit, but Rachel Maddow has a hold on me. And don't get me started on Anderson Cooper.

But in my daily deluge of news shows today, I had a realization. If you are a TV reporter in the Middle East (re: Libya, Syria, etc), you more than likely have a lisp.  A serious lisp.

The most prominent lisper is NBC's Richard Engel.  He's a hotty and could probably be a household name and anchor his own show, but the guy LISPS. He has what they call  "silibant S's". "Inshurgancesh shurpasshed the blockade and shuddenly shtarted shshooting."  I am fixated on it.  NBC not only has Lisping Richard, they have another reporter whose lisp is even worse than his.

And if that's not enough... tonight I was stalking watching Anderson Cooper on CNN and low and behold there was yet another Lisper.  I didn't catch her name because I was too flabbergasted to see another Middle Eashtern Lishping Correshpondent.

So, what's up with this?  No one else will go?  "Hey Bob, who do we have that can go to the war ravaged Middle East?"  "Well, let me think... hmmm... how about the lispers?"  "There's no one else?" "Nope".

What would Betty say?  "Why didn't they get that fixed?"  And then she would tell a story of a friend of her's son who has dyslexia. 

1 comment:

  1. Leave us shilabent lishpers alone. Dr. Ashby tried to fix mine. Even wanted to have my thingy below my tongue trimmed. I said, "No, No No...I will not go to surgery." I am a proud lishper and especially proud of all of those journalist who overcame their impairment and the prejudice of all acting teachers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete