Monday, July 11, 2011

Uncle Cousin Daddy

Yesterday I was informed that Elsie, the stupid dain bramaged cat that won't leave my house, was the product of incest.  It seems her father could possibly be her brother.  Thus explaining why she is "not right".  She had 2 siblings and they were even crazier than her.

I've been thinking of incest a lot lately.  WHY?  Not something that I usually think about, but it's been in the news lately. In a certain baby killer trial that was held recently, there was a question if said murdered child was fathered by her Uncle or perhaps her Grandfather.  Both claims were refuted after a DNA test was taken.  And during the Spring Royal Wedding there was a lot of talk how the Royals throughout history tended to marry their own, thus creating some pretty squirrelly aristoCATS. (hopefully, at least one of them were named, Elsie) (just trying to tie it all together, folks)

But the other day, someone on Facebook shared a link with me.  The headline posed the question:  "How Many States that Ban Gay Marriage Allow First Cousins to Marry?"  Astonishingly, there are 19. 19 States!
And there are 3 more (New York, Vermont and Massachusetts) that allow same-sex marriage AND first Cousin marriage. Am I the only one that find this astounding?  And, there are more states (Texas included)  that allow Cousin Marriage for those cousins who are age 50 or older.  Well, Hallelujah!  Now I can be an AARP member and marry my first cousin!! (As long as my first cousin isn't a man!!) There were some surprises on the list. Those states allowing Cousin Marriage: California. Which maybe isn't so surprising since they are just a bunch of hippie freaks that live there.  Utah. Well, I guess you can marry multiple cousins there, if you are so inclined. Maine. Who knew they did anything up there?  Not so surprising:  Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee.  Not only North, but also South Carolina.  Shockingly NOT on the list: Arkansas and Louisiana. I have absolutely no proof, but I am almost positive that there are a lot of law breakers in Arkansas and Louisiana.  (Full disclosure:  I have Arkansas blood in me. Which might explain a lot.)

So, I guess my point is: if Jim Bob Johnson and Charlene Lucille Johnson want to get married in one of those 19 states, then they can.  BUT, if Jim Bob Johnson and Bob Earl Johnson want to get married, they will have to move to New York, Vermont or Massachusetts.  I would be more than positive that both couples would be registered at Walmart.

What would Betty say about this?  "Now, Kevin Lynn, don't talk about things like that!"  And then she would add that she always suspected some of Charles' relatives were "in-breds". (He was from Arkansas)

No comments:

Post a Comment