Sunday, July 10, 2011

Thank You, Have A Nice Day!

I try to be polite and accommodating in public. I yield the right away in the grocery aisles. I hold the door open for those behind me in public places.  I say, "excuse me" in airports when someone is slow in front of me and I am trying to rush to catch a flight. For me, it says a lot about a person when they think of others before one's self in front of strangers. If I know you then I might not be as polite, but that's a whole other psychological issue that I am trying to work through.

I have a thing about customer service.  Once again, it says everything about the place of business and about the employees who work there.  Last night I drove through the Wendy's Drive Thru (dinner of champions!). I ordered a single with cheese combo (#1, if you're interested).  I drove to the window to pay.  I paid, got my change and waited for my food. The food was handed to me. And... crickets... not a word was said to me.
So, I waited.  I waited for a "thank you".  And yet, nothing.  So, I waited. I waited for a "thank you.  And yet, nothing. So I waited. I waited for a "thank you".  And yet, nothing. Finally, I hear, "you need anything else?" And I said "yes, yes I do."  And she said, "yeah, what?" And I said, "a thank you???"  And she said, "oh, okay, thank you."

This reminded me of a story a few years ago at Target. I was doing an event and I bought about $350 worth of lights and other party items.  I went through the check out line. The cashier started scanning my items with not one word said to me.  She didn't bag any of the items, so I started bagging them myself. She finished, took my credit card, gave me my receipt and walked away without a word.  As she walked away, I said "excuse me!!". She turned around and said "what?".  I said, "I would like a thank you!". And she said, with head cocked, "I don't give a shit!!" And I said to her (as I looked at her name badge), "Well, Berneeka, I think your manager will give a shit!" And she walked away.

Now, I know that these employees are working for minimum wage, have personal issues, etc, etc....  I am sure they aren't thrilled by having to work at all, much less waiting on people all day long.  But guess what?  We all have personal issues, etc., etc... Especially me.  And I still open doors and say, "excuse me".

What would Betty say? "It's because they don't know who their Daddy is. And if they know 'em, they're probably in jail". And then, of course, she would tell me not to use dirty words.

No comments:

Post a Comment