Thursday, July 21, 2011

An Odorous Birthday

Okay, okay.  I know it's been a while.  I have been out of town, working, taking care of my 79 year old daughter and it's HOT.  So sorry readers, I will try to do better.  This is the most humble day of my life and I blame those that I have trusted and those that they trusted.  And of course, Rupert Murdoch.

I was listening to the radio this morning. (Yes, Radio.) I heard a commercial for McDonald's. It was about a guy who always had to live in the shadow of his big brother, Steve.  "You're Steve's younger brother".  But now, you can outdo Steve and get some barbeque something or other at McDonald's that he hasn't heard about.

How appropriate that I heard that today, for tonight I am cooking dinner for my older brother, Steve, in honor of his double nickel birthday. (I am frying chicken, but he's hates chicken, so I am also making Barbeque ribs, fried okra, black eyed peas, salad, and brownies and ice cream for dessert (or is it desert?)  I really did grow up in the shadow of my big brother(Betty's other son), Steve.  Fortunately for me, we were completely opposite of each other and the comparisons were laughable, so it didn't psychologically scar me (too much).

Although we come from the same egg and sperm, you would never know that we did. He is olive complected and I am not. He has hair (lots of it) and... I DO NOT. He was a star athlete in High School...and surprisingly, I WAS NOT.  He has a hard labor job...I DO NOT.  He has 3 children...I DO NOT.  He loves Bluegrass music...I DO NOT. He is addicted to olives... I AM NOT.   He can pollute the air with one tilt of his leg... and I DO NOT!  And the list goes on and on... One thing we do have in common: He is very funny. But, I am funnier.

As kids we hated each other.  He made fun of me at every turn.  He beat me up every chance he could.  He left home by the time I went to high school and for about 20 years after, we barely communicated.  We just did not have one thing in common.  But in the last decade we have become closer and closer.  A lot has to do with his kids (my nephews and niece) and the time I share with them. But, since our dad died in 1998, we both shared the responsibility of Betty and Betty's sisters.  And you know what?  I have to say he is one of my dearest and best friends I have and will ever have.  We still have nothing in common.  He still has hair and I don't.  He still was the star athlete in high school and I was not.  He still loves bluegrass music and I still do not. He still blows gaseous wind in public and I certainly do NOT!   But, what we have is the same blood.  And as they say, blood is thicker than water.

So, happy birthday Brother!  For your birthday, I bought you some Febreeze!

What would Betty say?  "I tried to make him not beat you up. I never could control that kid".  And then she would remind me to turn off the stove after I cook and to not put too much salt in the peas. And  "Why are you frying chicken when you can go up to the Colonel and get a bucket?"

No comments:

Post a Comment