Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gaga for Gaga

Last night I had dinner with my friend and stage-mother, Suzanne.  The subject of Lady Gaga came up. We had a lengthy discussion on her meteoric rise and what she has done for the landscape of Pop Music today.  (We are so deep!)

Then I came home and watched "Saturday Night Live".  She was the musical guest and Justin Timberlake was the host. (FYI: I think Justin is a terrible actor, but he absolutely OWNS Saturday Night Live. Just brilliant!)

Some of you might not know that Lady Gaga was a student at NYU's Tish School of the Arts.   Unlike other "Pop Stars", she is  a trained musician and actress. (Brittany, Ke$ha, yes, I am talking about you) In a very short time she has established herself as a Pop Icon and lucrative musician. However, I think she goes way beyond Pop Star and Icon, she is a Pop Role Model.  She has established for herself a strong sense of individualism (the meat dress, come on!). But she also has given hope and aspiration to all those weird, off beat kids who are screaming to have their voices heard.  She loves them, embraces them and encourages them to let their voices sing. (You were"Born This Way" baby)

Back in my day I was one of those weird, off beat kids screaming. (insert "screamer" joke here). I was trying with all might to embrace the idea of individualism in a culture that was not so...well, embracing.  My Pop Idols were ( don't laugh) Bette Midler, Elton John and Charles Nelson Reilly. (don't judge me!) Later, I found Whoopi Goldberg (before movies and TV) and my creative career changed forever.  For me, these artists were true to themselves. And they didn't look like anyone else that were "idolized". They "screamed" in a society that was not as receptive today, and I listened.

So, today kids, do as I say, not as I did.  Embrace your individualism with all your might and soul!  Because yes, you were "Born This Way", hey!

Hopefully one day I will meet the Lady Gaga and she will call me "Alejandro, Ala, Alejandro".

What would Betty think about Lady Gaga? "She is just trying to look ugly". And then she would tell me again that Michael Jackson molested children because he wore tight pants and grabbed his crotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment