Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The End of an (Op) Era

Today, May 25, 2011 is the end of an era.  Oprah Winfrey ended her 25 year show.  I love "events" on TV.  I love finales of long running shows, I love televised funerals and weddings, inaugurations, resignations. I love contest finales and this was big week for that. So, I am in hog heaven. (that was not meant as a weight joke)

So, today I found my Oprah glasses, put on my Oprah gloves and turned on the set.  I fixed fried Oprah, pickled Oprah and Oprah Gumbo.  I was ready for what was the most culturally influential show in the history of television to end.  I was ready to "ugly cry", have an "aha" moment and write in my gratitude journal while reading an Oprah Book Club selection. I was ready to say good bye to someone who has spoken to me for half of my life.

Oprah entered the stage.  Her hair was quite good today.  She was wearing an ill fitted pepto bismol pink dress with a weird sash thingy hanging from her waist. There was much anticipation on whom might be her last guest. But in true Oprah classy fashion, she selected no one to be her guest. She instead chose to give us a classroom lesson review of what she has taught us through the seasons. She told us that we all have a "calling". She told us that we are "worthy" because we are here on this earth.  She told us that all we want in life is to be listened to and validated.  And she said some other stuff, but frankly, I zoned out and fast forwarded to the end. 

I must say that I will miss the Oprah. I do believe that she influenced our society in a positive way more so than just about anyone in our history.  I wish her luck. I am sure she will need it.

And with that I rented the DVD of "The Phantom of the Oprah". (It's not over until the fat lady sings!) (and that was not meant as a weight joke)

What would Betty have thought of Oprah's finale?  "That dress was just too tight".  And once again she would remind me that she had a black friend at work, but she was a really hard worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment