Sunday, May 15, 2011

Everybody's Doing It!

Well, Betty always said..."Why are you wearing that?" And I would say, "Everybody is wearing pucca beads and orange bell bottom jeans, MOTHER!"  She would say, "I don't know why you always have to do everything everyone else is doing?  I guess if they jumped off a bridge you would follow them."  "No", I would say. "I'd be the first one off the bridge, MOTHER!" 

In this case Mother you are right.  I am now following others and creating my own blog. Everybody's doing it!
And I can't be left out.  Unfortunately, this time I am a follower and not a leader.  I follow my dear friends, Brent and Suzanne into blogdom. Hopefully, witty musings will follow as well.

So, I am Betty Howard's second son. Her youngest baby.  She's dead now so I don't feel too bad about telling stories about her.  (okay, I have a little bit of guilt, but then again, not much)  She was a talker. She talked and talked and talked. Conversations were very one sided. The legend goes that once in the late 60's Betty had a 9 hour continuous phone conversation with her friend Janie Cox. In that 9 hours, she cooked lunch, washed dishes, did two loads of laundry, looked after 3 rowdy kids, canned beans, cooked and served dinner and washed more dishes - all while talking to her friend...on a corded phone.  Later in life, she cut those conversations down to 3 or 4 hours. And you can imagine what the invention of the cordless phone did for her productivity!

Don't get me wrong.. I can talk too.  I just didn't get to talk much around my mother.

Now Betty's son speaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment