Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pee and Sympathy

Yesterday, I made my tri-weekly trip to see my 79 nine year old daughter at the "I've Lost My Mind And I Can't Get Up" Camp and take her laundry to her.  I went early in the morning so I could get on with the rest of my day.  I usually don't go early, but yesterday I needed to. 

I walked into camp and looked to the right and there were about 15 campers doing their daily chair exercise class. I was compelled to stare.  I couldn't keep my eyes off all the campers attempting to lift their arms in rhythm. It reminded me of a toddler "Mommy and Me" exercise class minus the pacifiers but including the diapers. Mrs. Langston had obviously used her Jane Fonda tapes in the 80's because she was quite adept. My daughter, however, not so much.  

I went to her room to start unloading laundry and the room smelled of pee. Seems she had wet the bed the night before and possibly the night before that.  She soon returned.  She was in a "mood".  As I was hanging up her polyester pants and putting away her floral pajamas, she started muttering about going home and how she didn't want to live there. This is usual, but yesterday it had a mean, bitter edge to it.  Usually when she goes on about this I ignore her and try to change the subject.  And I did.  But, there was such a sadness to her this day.

Suddenly there was a voice of an angel in my head.  It was St. Oprah of the Television Set. I remembered what she said on her final telecast.  She said that all people want is to be heard.  So, I sat on the daughter's new walker with cushioned seat and listened.  I let her ramble.  Same ole lines she usually recites that start to repeat after 5 minutes.  But I sat there and listened through a couple of cycles and nodded.  And finally, I said what I always say which is "I am so sorry, but the doctors say you have to stay here".  And I grabbed the load of dirty laundry and started my pee scented trip down the hall to the car.

Years from now, when you speak of this, and you will...be kind. (20 points and a case of Depends to those of you who get the literary reference)

What would Betty say?  "Jane Fonda said those hateful things about the war. But she had pretty hair."

No comments:

Post a Comment